Monday, May 23, 2011

I've reached the end...er...the beginning...

I have arrived in Newport, OR, th western terminus of Route 20.  I plan to camp south of town at Seal Rock for a day or two, explore town to get a good sense of the people and places around here, then it is time to head east.  Didn't Bread have an album by that title? 

I have been blessed with (mostly) beautiful weather, although there was some rain for the last two nights I camped.  Stayed mostly dry, although water has a way of finding its way through. 

I have already met quite an interesting variety of people.  This morning I played bicycle leapfrog with a young woman from Australia who is heading toward San Francisco.  Yesterday I met a couple of young men who were biking to San Diego. 

I spent Friday and Saturday nights on Whalen Island, just north of Pacific City.  Unbeknownst to me, there was an event called "Reach The Beach" going on in Pacific City over the weekend.  I guess this was a bicycling event, where people rode to the beach.  Pretty self explanitory, really, but the funny part was that the campsite was over run with people who drove to Whalen Island, then bicycled the five miles to The Beach in Pacific City.  Doesn't seem like that much of a challenge.

Must find food.  Will post more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment