Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The end of the road

Sometimes our dreams come to an end sooner than we expect.  No matter how much I try to ignore it, arthritis has firmly rooted itself in my lower back and left leg.  Hip to knee hurt so much going over the coastal mountain range for the second time that I was barely able to pedal the last few miles. 

As I looked ahead at the Cascade's and saw that I would be facing passes of over four thousand feet, I came to the conclusion that I would be an absolute fool to continue. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry things took this turn James, I know you had your heart set on it. Coming to terms with our limitations can be a harsh blessing. I'm glad that you didn't continue out of some false pride or Rowe stubbornness and get yourself into what could easily have become a life and death situation. There is no shame in attempting the impossible, it's admirable actually ... how else would humans have accomplished ANYTHING ? The difference is in recognizing risks which are manageable and complete folly.

    On to the NEXT adventure ... and SAFE HOME !

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah shoot. that just sucks!

    ReplyDelete